Monday, November 19, 2012

Respecting the Animal

Respect, it's a word we hear uttered in the schools to our kids, living rooms to our children and even in political campaigns. It's a word that usually no one can really have a justified arguement against. To not be respectful or respect others is and always should be deemed wrong. No you don't have to agree with someone to be respectful, but some just don't seem to grasp that concept...which is precisely how some hunters can't grasp the idea of having respect for the animal they're hunting.

Some would say I have too much respect for the whitetail deer. I refused to take a shot on a buck 15 minutes prior to legal light this season (would have been biggest to date for me), despite the ability to see him clearly, could have smoked him with my bow but I let him walk. I have refused to shoot bucks and does when the shot wasn't a good opportunity and chance of recovery was low (low light, pouring rain or quartering to...). I don't say these things to give myself an "atta boy" but to point out how I feel we all need to treat this gift of hunting. Others would have shot in any of those examples and not thought twice. My question to them is, "Do you respect the animal you're hunting?"

If you answer anything but yes, in my honest opinion I feel you are 100% wrong...and if you answer yes, does your hunting reflect that? A hunter whose goal is to end the life of a deer needs to respect the "game" they're choosing to play. By taking to the woods in pursuit of the great whitetail deer you cannot fall short in your preparation, for that will only result in dis-respect towards the animal you're chasing.

This whole post is brought about by the recent news that the massive 8-pointer I chased all bow season at a new property I picked up was wounded (on opening day of gun) from a mere 10 yards away...and from the sounds of it not even mortally wounded. Never recovered and blood trail stopped according to the landowner which helped the neighboring hunter track it. Now I probably will never know the specifics of the hunt, but no matter what they were the results don't change and I felt this post still needed.

Now I'm the first to admit buck fever happens, but at 10 yards it shouldn't matter what gun you're using...you should be able to make that shot. If you can't, you have no business being in the woods. I firmly believe that as a hunter your preparation for a hunt should always include: PRACTICE. Your weapon of choice has the ability to take a life when used properly and you have the responsibility to make 100% sure it is in full working order and accurate. Gun hunters especially have no excuse. Just one or two visits to the range and a dozen or so shots at various distances should at minimum show you if you have any business being in the woods. If you can't consistently hit a kill zone sized target from what range you plan on hunting YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS HUNTING. That includes guys hunting with crossbows, bows, pistols or long guns...if you can't consistently put it in the kill zone stay out of the woods.

Buck fever (happens), poor shot choice (disrespect)...never know could be either.


I know it may sound harsh, but I'm being bluntly honest. When you choose to hunt it is your responsibility to have your weapon in tip top working shape...a scope can get bumped just like a sight pin can...so even in season practice is something every hunter should do. I encourage any and all who want to hunt, please by all means add to our ranks! However, by choosing to hunt you have to take the responsibility to do so with respect to the deer in mind...failure to do so disrespects the deer, yourself and other hunters who are taking the proper steps.

Good luck to any and all hitting the woods still this 2012 season.

1 comment:

Coy Hill said...

Thanks for stopping by Country Captures. I haven't been here in some time but sure am glad I did. I could not agree more with your post. Thank you for posting!