Friday, June 1, 2012

Writing a "Can I hunt letter..."

If there is one thing I dread more than anything it's that awkward moment after you knock on a door for the first time...and stand there....just waiting for the person to come to the door and chase you off saying "No" when the word hunting comes out of your lips.

I've learned that over the years when trying to get permission for new properties respect is quite possibly the #1 thing you can use to increase the odds in your favor when acquiring new hunting properties...however let me introduce the time I decided on writing letters instead of the awkward door moment.

 I can still remember the day at work when someone showed me our county GIS program and how to operate it. I'd be lying if I said I listened to anything he said after, "As you can see you can scan the entire county, click on any parcel and instantly see the owner, mailing address, acreage and....."

I was gone, all I could see was hunting opportunity after opportunity has he scrolled around in all directions. The second my first lunch break came I don't even think I ate, I was on a mission which was to find as many possible hunting spots I could. I quickly printed off a dozen or so maps and began mapping out my plan to stop and ask all the owners....that's when I started thinking about something.

I'd never actually approached someone I'd never met before expecting them to welcome me with open arms and allow me to hunt...pretty intimidating. I also tried to put myself in the owners' shoes, I'd be putting them on the spot and making a quick decision would probably end in a "No" to hunting. So I set about making a letter format. One which I could make just small changes to and send out to every single land owner. Now this letter doesn't just simply say, "Um...I was wondering if you'd let me shoot some deer on your property."

This letter had to be well thought out, respectful and even appear professional. To accomplish this I almost approached it as a job application's cover letter. I planned on first introducing myself to the owner(s) in an effort to control the first impression they'd have of myself. This introduction of basic information about me would also allow them to make a decision somewhat on my character...which as you can guess is key to them saying yes.

(remember to see the images that follow better: CLICK ON THEM)

So the beginning of my letter goes something like this (screen shot of actual letter):


I then go into the reason I'm writing them with this part:


Well now the topic has been breached....it's at this point that I'd guess 75% of the people reading this far know at this moment whether they'll let you hunt or not. However, you gotta convince the remaining 25% that are not sure with justification of why you should be allowed to hunt. The keys here is don't lie, be honest about what type of hunter you are, if you're strictly hunting for mature (don't use the word trophy) bucks say that, if you're hunting strictly for meat do the same. I use the following to address my hunting beliefs and character:

Okay so I've described what type of hunter I am (HONESTLY!) now I state how I will act on his or her property:

I've pretty much stated everything I desire to or can in letter form, which is why I close out the letter. I make sure to share with them my purpose for writing and not just showing up as well I share every single type of contact information possible (cut that part off for obvious reasons):

Space left for authentic signature.


The map I get through my work's GIS system...however Bing and GoogleEarth both provide great ways of getting and printing out maps.

That's pretty much what my letters to landowners have looked like for a couple years now. I tweak them some from place to place obviously, but the skeleton of the letter stays the same. No matter how nice and respectful you are realize you have a greater chance to get a no than a yes. However, all it takes is one yes and it could provide you with hours of hunting and possibly some deer touching dirt come the hunting season!

Good luck out there everyone!

God bless,

Ty

6 comments:

ReformedPatriot91 (Jacob) said...

Very interesting. I really like this approach, and am thinking of trying it. Has it worked in getting you permission?

TYNI said...

I'll be honest it has not worked more than it hasn't..but that is no different than any other approach I've tried. This approach though has had the best response from land owners, and I've actually started pretty decent relationships with some of them who have said no...but the window isn't completely shut. Have one property (about a 40 acre farm) tell me to keep asking each year, because if their grandkids don't stick to it they'd love to have me "someone they trust" (they said) hunt it.

I just sent out 4 more today, 2 properties in MI and 2 in IN near my house....I'll let you guys know the response.

Ed said...

Four years later...what's the success rate now?

Anonymous said...

So What is your Success rate, or anyones success rate with this approach? for instance if you send out 100 how many permission slips to hunt do you get? should I offer to share the venison with them? or throw in there that I donate meat to hunters for the hungry? I am new to this concept, I have been in a club with 23,000 acres and now dont have dues money so i have to find another way. Any info from someone with experience in this will help. also other examples of letters or ideas would be great my email is Bmartin5014@gmail.com

Paul vachon said...

Where do you go to find the parcel address and landowners name thank you Paul Vachon Gators9260@gmail.com

365 Angler said...

Good post. This might work for gaining fishing permission too.