Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Scents and the truth about them is...

               They all have, will and can work. Yes you saw that right, I said they all work. You look up any scent and you’ll find guys claiming success from them. If you think about that, it makes sense because deer by nature are curious animals; so sometimes curiosity alone is going to allow success to follow the application of any scent on the market. Likewise any scent given the right deer and the right situation can and has spooked deer.
                An example of this is one I experienced 2 years ago. I was using what I consider to be the best real deer urine on the market, S&P Scents, and hunting my honey hole. I had created a couple mock scrapes about two weeks prior and now that the pre-rut was in full swing I decided to bust out the Doe-in-Estrous urine for the first time in the season. I applied some to drag and slowly crept the 100+ yards to my stand in the early afternoon. Upon reaching my stand location I applied some in each scrape and shimmied on up the treestand.

                It was only about an hour and I saw a young 4-pointer following my drag line step for step right to my scrapes…he spent easily a half hour trying to figure out where this doe went from the scrapes. He eventually chose to go check out a nearby marsh/bedding area. 20 minutes later he came back up to the scrapes but this time was accompanied by a spike buck. When the spike buck reached the scrape he got all spooked and eventually ran back down to the marsh like he’d been busted by a hunter. The 4-pointer was never phased and I even had 6 does work through my drag line that evening and not one raised a tail at it…but man that spike wanted nothing to do it. Now perhaps he’d just never smelled a doe ready for action and freaked out or he simply didn’t think something was right.
                That is one of only two times I’ve had deer spook at the smell of S&P, but that proves it can happen; which is true of every urine or synthetic based scents.

                One of the newest crazes to hit the market are the aerosol cans of urine, Buck Bomb being perhaps the leader in the field. To be honest it makes scientific sense why some guys are claiming great success using them and it’s that science that caused me to purchase a hand pumped ionizer for myself. All things that smell, especially deer, smell molecules in the air which are naturally mixed with moisture in the air. That’s how that buck could smell you from 40 yards away down wind. Your breath and nature odor released into the air had found its way to his nose. These new aerosol cans disperse scents in a much finer mist, hence releases more scent molecules into the air. This causes a much wider spread area to be affected by the scent. Now not only are millions of tiny molecules going through the air, but that bush you sprayed near is now finely coated in whatever scent you sprayed. That’s exactly what an ionizer does, except now you just push a button where ionizer like mine need primed by hand pumping. While it may not be foolproof and guaranteed, it’s easy to see how aerosol scents may just be the way to go; my own curiosity though is how well does the scents freshness stay in an aerosol form?
                Whatever scent you choose, store it wisely. While I don’t recommend the non-frozen urine based scents as the chemically make up is altered to slow down ammonia build up, it is pivotal with any scent you keep it stored at a consistent temperature.  To be safe I always keep my non-frozen S&P Scents, when I’ve used some, in the refrigerator. Also always try to pick a scent which has obvious research behind it. While I’m not a huge fan, scientists these days are capable of many things; so wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they can imitate deer urine to the degree you, I and the deer will never be able to tell the difference.
                Good luck!

No comments: