Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Scouting your property properly #2: Trail Cameras

Like I stated yesterday there is no substitute for actually getting out and hoofing it on your property. You will catch more with your eye if you take your time than any topographical map, elevation map, Google earth or speaking with locals ever will. However, once you’ve got the property memorized it’s time to step back and let nature do its thing with as little human interference as possible. To accomplish this there a couple rules I abide by with no questions asked!
#1 Never step foot on your property, unless you absolutely have to before 11am and after 2pm.
                In my short time as a hunter it is very obvious that deer movement is going to be dramatically lesser during this time frame than any other part of the day. Now I understand that sometimes we can’t do this, but try to as much as you can. Yes, you’ll leave human scent no matter what time of day, but doing it during the midday hours allows your scent to dissipate more before the deer are up and about again in the afternoon evening hours. This is the time frame I always hang stands, or walk any new properties I’ll be hunting the following season.
#2 Treat each time you scout as if you were hunting.
                This means that if you know you’ll be scouting try washing some jeans and t-shirt in no-scent detergent and using the proper scent away sprays just as you would if you were hunting. We want to minimize our interference with nature and by doing this; your presence is going to have a lesser impact on Ol’ Mossy Horns you want to harvest.
#3 If at all possible use trail cameras!
                I’ll admit when they first came out I refused to even consider such a thing. They used to flash like a polaroid (surely scaring mature bucks) and cost more than any hunting equipment I’d bought. However, once my father purchased one and we started using it…I was a changed man! These things are crazy nice! Yes I’d still recommend only getting infrared ones as they don’t flash at night, but some do still flash and dusk and dawn (a problem seemingly solved by the new ones like the Primos Blackout). They are however priceless for two reason though.
                One, they’re going to scout for you. You’ll begin to see how your deer are moving and using your hunting property without you being there to capture it…priceless! How many of us have the time to set 24 hours on trails scouting the deer, I pray the answer is none. So save up some cash, decent ones can be had for $100, and start scouting 24/7.
                I will admit the second reason these things are amazing is a double edged sword which can definitely work for you, but can also work against you. These things will show you what is out there! I mean everything…don’t be surprised if you realize after looking at your pictures you’ve been settling all these years on those little 4 and 6 pointers. Trail Cameras show you just what caliber of bucks you have roaming your ground, which at times can play against you. An example of this from my experience is actually happening right now. Entering this year’s bow season I know there is a solid 120inch 8-pointer which uses our property daily. Now putting the idiot hunters we have pressuring neighboring ground aside, I know this 8-pointer is probably one opening day away from one of my arrows. However, I can see it now; there he is 15 yards in front of me on a trail begging me to shoot and all I can think about are these guys:


What will I do? To be honest I don’t know but knowing the way hunting goes I’ll probably regret it no matter what I choose. So just be careful with trail cameras don’t let them play with your mind and you pass up solid deer at the chance for the HUGE one unless you’re willing to have years where you get skunked.
Just remember that a day spent in the woods beats a day…well not spent in the woods! J! Good luck!

No comments: